About the Project
Social Assistance Management Information System (SAMIS) for the Ministry of Social Solidarity
The Timor-Leste SPIS consolidates the data collection, verification and administration of Ministry of Social Solidarity’s (MSS) social safety programs for single parents (Mother’s Purse), the Elderly and Disabled, Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) and housing reconstruction database. The web-based SPIS interfaces with the Social ID database and Ministry of Finance payment systems, and is supported by the World Bank.
- MSS tracked social protection data using offline MS Excel and MS Access databases.
- Beneficiary applications, qualification and assistance administration were ad-hoc and time consuming.
- Lack of data verification opened Timor-Leste’s benefits system to abuse and errors.
- A single point-of-entry for social protection administration.
- Beneficiary data collection, eligibility and payment amount calculation.
- Beneficiary IDs verification via Social ID database and payments validation.
- Built-in analytics for easy performance analysis, visualization and reporting.
- SPIS launched in 2013, and has streamlined social safety net administration.
- Analytics allow MSS to track program effectiveness, monitor full scope of benefits.
- SPIS reports provide transparency and will guide future improvements to Timor-Leste social programs.