Disaster Management Suite
The backbone of Synergy’s Disaster Management Suite is the Development Assistance Database (DAD) and the Monitoring & Evaluation system. These tools are proven solutions for aid management and project evaluation, implemented in over 40 countries world-wide, which can be customized specifically to the needs of an individual post-disaster context. In addition to the implementation of the DAD and M&E system, Synergy’s Disaster Management Suite includes the following package of tools:
- Donor Pledging System - For the international donors’ conference on Haiti’s post-earthquake recovery, Synergy developed the first ever online system for reporting and presenting aid pledges. This tool enabled donors to submit pledges before the conference through electronic forms, and it also allowed them to revisit their forms and update their pledge information. The system’s user-friendly and visually-captivating live feed projected pledges in real-time on a large screen at the conference as they were being announced or updated.
- Project Submission & Monitoring System – Successfully implemented by Synergy in post-tsunami Aceh and post-earthquake Haiti, this web-based system enables the submission, review, and monitoring and evaluating of proposed and existing projects. It serves as a decision-support tool of the lead reconstruction agency to coordinate the multitude of assistance efforts on the ground and ensuring that they are aligned with national post-disaster goals and priorities. This decision-support tool enables disaster management officials to avoid duplication of activities and to perform results-oriented post-disaster planning.
- Housing Reconstruction Tracking – HRM reports and tracks housing reconstruction projects. HRM measures the physical and financial progress of housing reconstruction projects against housing damages and reconstruction needs.
- Private Sector Aid Tracking – To address the growing role of private businesses and foundations in disaster management and recovery, Synergy developed the web-based Private Sector Funding Module to track post-disaster contributions by these crucial actors. The Private Sector Funding Module, implemented regionally in response to the 2004 Asian Tsunami, tracked data on contributions totaling $225 million from approximately 150 organizations in 20 countries.
- Internally-Displaced Persons (IDP) Mapping – The IDP Tracking Module provides a full situational analysis on internally displaced persons. Post-disaster environments are often characterized by millions of displaced people, frequently in need of urgent medical care or humanitarian assistance. Through GIS and other tools, the IDP Tracking Module maps the location of temporary shelters and camps so that aid can be rapidly and effectively distributed to needy populations.